The University of Osijek is an educational institution that connects scientific research, artistic creation, teaching, and studying thus developing science, profession, and art, preparing students for professional work based on scientific knowledge and methods, as well as artistic value, educating young researchers, participates in the realization of students’ social interests and promotes international, particularly European cooperation in higher education, in scientific and artistic activities.
The mission of Josip Juraj Strossmayer University of Osijek is determined by the Act on Scientific Activity and Higher Education, by the University Statute and defined activities: teaching and research, the main purpose is to transfer knowledge and prepare graduates for professional work.
The purpose of the University is to involve students in scientific research activities and to develop the scientific spirit in order to develop students’ critical attitude and openness toward new knowledge and simultaneously develop their personality and teamwork ability, to accept moral and ethical principles as a prerequisite, and to contribute to the development of a democratic society and become involved in the European knowledge community.
In accordance with the above definition and mission of the University, it is evident that higher education is of utmost importance for the social community because higher education contributes to the regional and national development of society.
University fulfills its role through the academic education at its faculties, university departments, and the Academy of Arts, within university and professional studies whose primary activity is teaching and transfer of knowledge to new generations, in accordance with legal and statutory provisions.
By reaching a high level of development, Josip Juraj Strossmayer University of Osijek tends to step forward towards new competitive advantages in order to become a desirable place for studying and working.
Its development is based on the rich cultural and historical heritage in the regional and central European context. It also seeks to preserve traditional values and particularities of higher education that it inherits over three centuries.
Within the University of Osijek’s vision, the main guidelines are the development of a modern, autonomous, research-oriented, educational, and innovation center that enables:
- reaching recognisability level within particular scientific fields and branches,
- establishment of scientific centers of excellence,
- the foundation of university institutes,
- establishment of the scientific-technology park „Tehnopolis“,
- technology transfer,
- implementation of the Bologna process,
- preparation of new study programs and profiling of experts according to labor market demands in the area of Eastern Croatia,
- establishment of interdisciplinary studies,
- establishment of Centers for studies,
- establishment of the Center for higher education quality,
- establishment of the Center for lifelong learning,
- enforcement of the scientific-teaching structure,
- development of scientific research activity,
- increase scientific production,
- establishment of doctoral schools,
- involvement in international science,
- International and internal mobility of students,
- widening the integrative function,
- realization of international and interuniversity cooperation within teaching and scientific activities,
- establishment of the University office for audit and financial control, and
- realization of the 3rd phase of the University campus construction and capital investments program.
University’s strategic aim is to assure internationalization at all levels of academic and scientific activity and to become widely visible and competitive in the international higher education community while establishing efficient cooperation with universities worldwide.
Some of our main goals are:
- increasing international activity through active participation in the Erasmus+ and in European research programs and projects;
- expansion of international cooperation through individual mobility exchanges of students and staff
- intensification of international student exchanges within international programs and bilateral agreements
- education of students in internationally friendly academic environments
- creating opportunities for home staff and students to experience an international perspective of study programs at home within the concept of “Internationalization at Home”