PhD History and Archeology University of Latvia
The aim of the joint doctoral study program “History and Archeology” of the University of Latvia and Daugavpils University is to ensure the succession of historical science, training of leading staff of scientific, higher education and cultural institutions who have the competence to raise and solve the most important problems of modern history, in a broader sense, it means participation in the formation of the intellectual elite, as well as the ability to influence the development of the direction and priorities of national historical science.
The tasks of the program result in its tasks:
1) to select the best applicants in accordance with the jointly developed criteria for the evaluation of doctoral applicants;
2) to ensure the acquisition of deep and extensive knowledge of the current theoretical and methodological problems of modern world and Latvian historical science;
3) to develop doctoral students' skills and competencies, which will enable them to carry out independent projects based on scientific findings and methods and to carry out scientific research;
4) to provide qualified management for the scientific work of doctoral students, to ensure the transfer of the scientific work experience, scientific methods and erudition of the academic staff to the next generation;
5) to create an opportunity for doctoral students to publish the results of their scientific research and theoretical findings in scientific periodicals;
6) to provide doctoral students with an opportunity to get acquainted with the latest theoretical and historiographical achievements;
7) to promote doctoral students' understanding of scientific and academic careers and to improve the pedagogical competence necessary for academic work;
8) to promote the development of interdisciplinarity by cooperating with other doctoral study programs of the University of Latvia, Daugavpils University and other universities.
Program Tuition Fee
The doctoral degree will allow to achieve the highest degree as a university lecturer, as well as to work in research in a variety of research institutions, as well as in archives, museums and libraries. The experience gained will be an additional advantage when applying for various positions in public administration, diplomatic service, mass media.