Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Universiti Putra Malaysia Graduate School of Management
Shah Alam, Malaysia
3 - 5 years
Earliest start date
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme is designed to prepare students for a career as an academic or a researcher in the public or private sector. The research in the PhD programme is an in-depth investigation of specific research issue(s) related to a management discipline with the aim of enhancing and contributing to new knowledge in that discipline. Students are expected to have strong theoretical and research methodological foundations and be able to conduct their research fairly independently.
The areas of specialisation offered in the PhD programme are as follows:
- Human Resource Management
- Business Law
To qualify for admission into the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme, the applicant is required to possess one of the following qualifications:
- A Masters Degree with a CGPA of at least 3.300 or its equivalent in the relevant field. An applicant with a Masters Degree with a CGPA below 3.300 or equivalent in the relevant field will only be considered if the applicant possesses substantial research experience, or
- Other qualification that is approved by the UPM Senate.
- In addition, the applicant must meet the language proficiency requirement of the University.
Language Proficiency Requirements for All Post-Graduate Programmes:
- Malaysian applicants must have obtained at least a credit in English at Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) level or have passed English courses conducted at the Diploma or Bachelor's level.
- All international candidates from countries where English is not a medium of instruction must have obtained a minimum TOEFL score of 550 or Band 6 for IELTS.
- Provisional admission may be granted to an applicant who has obtained a TOEFL score of between 500 to 549 or Band 5.5 for IELTS or its equivalent. The applicant, upon registration, is required to enrol and pass the Tertiary english Programme conducted by the University before full admission to any post-graduate is granted.
All international students (except students from Indonesia and Brunei) must obtain a grade 'M' for the Malay Language course (BBM 1401 or its equivalent) to be eligible for conferral of a degree.
M - Memuaskan/Satisfactory
Relevant research experience is an added advantage.
Program Admission Requirements
Demonstrate your commitment and readiness to succeed in business school by taking the GMAT exam – the most widely used exam for admissions that measures your critical thinking and reasoning skills. Download the GMAT mini quiz to get a flavour of the questions you’ll find in the exam.