PhD in Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics
Riga Technical University
4 - 5 years
Full time, Part time
Earliest start date
Mechanics is one of the four classical physics areas (optics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics are the rest) and, of course, is an essential part of all education in science and engineering. It includes all parts of an industrial design process based on advanced mechanical analysis of product behavior and functionality.
The RTU Engineering Technology, Mechanics, and Mechanical Engineering doctoral program prepares the highest quality knowledgeable specialists in technical innovation and development for engineering research laboratories as well as for the academic environment at the universities.
Students learn to merge visionary with pragmatic thinking from world-renownedthe faculty members with a broad range of experience and expertise dedicated to creative, comprehensive teaching and research that ranges from fundamental to applied.
Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics is a key contributor to achieving technological, environmental, industrial, and societal sustainability. Are you ready?
The RTU Department of Mechanical Engineering, Transport, and Aeronautics is a community of learners committed to providing outstanding educational opportunities for students through a shared commitment to addressing global societal challenges through research, education, and knowledge collaboration.
The program’s robust, multidisciplinary coursework builds on a strong foundation in manufacturing technologies and physics and exposes students to all facets of mechanical engineering and applied mechanics, including:
- Design and Analysis of Physical and Computer Experiments
- Material Processing Technology and Theory
- Design of Smart and Green Cutting Tools
- Variational Principles in Mechanics
- Automation of Calculation of Construction Durability
- Micro and Nanotechnologies in Medicine
The study program focuses on a comprehensive and systematic approach, where study courses allow for gaining in-depth knowledge and understanding of the place and role of processes and technologies not only in the development of mechanical engineering and mechancs but also in the development of other current economic sectors.
Duration: 4 years (full-time), 5 years (part-time)
Get the resources you need to make informed decisions about your education. Contact the Riga Technical University International Cooperation and Foreign Students Department:
Admission office Tel:
+ 371 67 08976
+ 371 67 089020
Email: [email protected]
The tasks of the doctoral study program include:
- Provide an opportunity to carry out independent research work on the chosen topic.
- Provide in-depth theoretical knowledge, skills, and attitudes that would enable doctoral students to successfully carry out scientific research in their chosen study field, systematize, and methodologically analyze practical and experimental observations, linking them with theoretical knowledge, and demonstrate conceptual and analytical skills in scientific theory development.
- Prepare high-level specialists who can carry out high-quality and internationally significant scientific research using modern research methods, to publish and report the results at international conferences, scientific seminars, etc.
- Develop doctoral students’ knowledge of technical innovation methods, and introduce new research and engineering system diagnostics methods, to promote the integration of scientific research and modern technology into a single innovative operating environment, to promote research productivity and competitiveness.
Program graduates leave Riga with a breadth of strong technical and interpersonal skills and expertise far beyond their degree specialism. They have great employment opportunities for both local and international science projects that require experience in noise and vibration management processes, energy extraction technologies, robotics, aeronautics, fluid mechanics, and new materials synthesis.
They progress into a wide variety of careers within engineering (e.g., consulting engineers, R&D companies, construction sector) academia, public services (e.g., civil service, policy change), and commerce (e.g., IT, finance).
The acquisition of a PhD degree provides a significant career acceleration and facilitates entry into positions with greater responsibility and diverse opportunities. Furthermore, it increasingly provides entrepreneurial opportunities, exploiting skills and knowledge acquired during the program.
Degree offered: Doctor of Science in Mechanical Engineering and Mechanics or Materials Science, Medical Engineering, Environmental Engineering and Energy, or Nanotechnology