PhD in Chemical Engineering Nazarbayev University
- An undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent)
- A Master’s degree or equivalent. During the application period final year students may submit official current transcript for consideration.
- A minimum CGPA of 2.75 out of 4.00.
- English proficiency:
- Overall IELTS test score of 6.5 (with sub-scores no less than 6.0) or the equivalent TOEFL score as posted on the ETS website;
- Candidates can be exempted from submitting the language proficiency test report if:
- one of their earlier academic degrees was earned in a country with English as the language of official communication, academic instruction and daily life;
- an undergraduate and/or graduate degree was earned in a program which was officially taught in English.
- Strong reading, analytical, and mathematical skills as demonstrated by GMAT or GRE test (recommended);
- High motivation and strong interest in the Program as outlined in a statement of purpose.
Scholarships and Funding
The first year of the Ph.D. Program Chemical Engineering is largely filled with 5 compulsory and 3 elective courses. The compulsory courses are so-called “core courses” in the field, namely:
- Advanced Heat & Mass transfer
- Advanced Chemical Reaction Engineering
- Advanced Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics
- OUTLINE Thesis Research
- Current Research Literature
A palette of elective courses is available; students make a selection of 3, based on their scientific interests. In the following 3 years, the focus is exclusively on scientific research. This will culminate in a Ph.D. thesis that meets the highest international scientific standards, and which will be defended, by the student, in public. Hereafter, the laureate will carry the title: Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering.
Many chemical engineers work in industries whose products are sought by many manufacturing firms. For instance, they work for firms that manufacture plastic resins, which are used to increase fuel efficiency in automobiles. Increased availability of domestically produced natural gas should increase manufacturing potential in the industries employing these engineers. In addition, chemical engineering will continue to migrate into dynamic fields, such as nanotechnology, alternative energies, and biotechnology, and thereby help to sustain demand for engineering services in many manufacturing industries
- Biomedical Engineers
- Chemical Technicians
- Chemists and Materials Scientists
- Nuclear Engineers
- Occupational Health and Safety Specialists and Technicians
- Energy Engineer
- Petroleum Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineer
Teaching assistant or research assistant positions on campus