PhD in Digital Games Development
Earliest start date
Nowadays, Digital Games have roles that transcend the playful and entertainment aspects and have been gaining increasing relevance in society. Digital game-based solutions are today fundamental working tools in simulation and training and are used in areas as diverse as the economy, environmental protection, and health.
The great evolution in the use of Artificial Intelligence in digital games has transformed them into complex simulation systems, ideal for strategic analysis at the level of environmental, financial, and even political ecosystems. At the same time, the constant search for ultra-realistic graphics has been expanding the horizons of Computer Graphics more and more.
Why the Ph.D. in Digital Games Development?
The students of this PhD integrate an immersive research environment, through their association with the research centers of the two institutions, UNIDCOM / IADE and 2Ai / IPCA.
They also have the opportunity to be in constant contact and collaboration with national and international researchers who work directly or indirectly with applied research in the field of video games.
Accompaniment to Research Projects
Students will have the opportunity to participate in multiple events, such as international scientific conferences and public exhibitions of the research projects developed.
It is worth mentioning the External Monitoring Committee, which meets annually to discuss and advise on the main strategic lines of the program and to monitor the research projects of students and teachers.
The Ph.D. in Digital Game Development offered by IADE - Faculdade de Design, Tecnologias e Comunicação da Universidade Europeia in association with IPCA - Instituto Politécnico do Cávado e Ave is an innovative project, a pioneer in Portugal which brings together two institutions with a strong tradition in game development and in the areas of innovation, technology, and creativity.
- Game Development and Interactive Media
- Immersion in Research Project I
- Optional I*
- *Advanced Artificial Intelligence for Games and Interactive Applications
- *Computer Graphics for Creative Applications
- Emerging Technologies for Games and Interactive Media
- Immersion in Research Project II
- Research Methodologies
- Optional II*
- *Machine Learning for Digital Games and Interactive Environments
- *AR Virtual and Mixed Reality for Creative Applications
- Optional III**
- **Sound Design for Games
- **Interaction Design in Creative Technologies
- Dissertation / Project
- Researchers in the areas of Digital Games
- Higher education teachers with an emphasis on video games
- Highly qualified video game industry professionals