- Duration of study (years): 3 years
- Title of studies: Doctoral degree in Public Administration
- Level of Title: Doctoral Degree (3rd Cycle of Studies)
- Teaching language: The doctoral candidate has the option of writing his thesis and examining it either in Greek or in English
- Study Mode: Full-time / Part-time
- Minimum Credit Units: 90
- Minimum European Credit Units (ECTS): 180
The University of Nicosia offers Doctoral Programme in Public Administration leading to Doctorate (Ph.D.) in Public Administration.
The program is designed to provide scientific knowledge at the highest academic level and prepare students for careers in the field of higher learning, scientific research and public administration (Public Service, Semi-Government Organisations, Local Government (Municipalities and Communities), Public Organizations and Agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations). The aim of the doctoral program in Public Administration is to produce scientists who will conduct cutting-edge research, propose innovative and practicable solutions and conquer leading positions in the field of public administration. The program directs students to use the most modern methods of multidisciplinary research into the production and application of knowledge in theoretical and practical level.
The research of the doctoral candidates directed to areas of direct interest to the public service, such as the strategic analysis and planning, public programs, e-government, administrative planning and organization of public services, the exercise of public policy and human resources management . The program is structured in such a way as to enable students to specialize in areas of particular interest, having as background their knowledge and / or experience in Public Administration.
Doctoral students who will successfully complete the program will have the opportunity to:
- Understand State faculty in higher education.
- To play a leading role in the educational field, eg management position at school level or the Ministry of Education and Culture.
- To work as senior managers in departments of the Ministry of Education and Culture (eg Pedagogical Institute, Program Development Service).
- Undertake higher administrative / academic / advisory role to private educational institutions, research centers or consultancy centers.
Access to Further Studies
A doctoral student who successfully completes his / her studies may pursue post-doctoral studies at a higher education institution in the home or abroad.
Upon completion of the doctoral program in Public Administration, the holders of a PhD degree:
- They will acquire knowledge of the most recent theories and methods regarding Public Administration.
- They will develop specialized skills and competences in the study of complex theoretical and practical problems and will be able to produce workable solutions to these problems.
- They will be specialized in the search, study and understanding of problem areas in public administration and in the application of innovative methods of dealing with them.
- They will monitor the evolution of the cognitive field and the practices followed in the Public Administration at a global level and will be able to recommend and apply the best methods and practices for the modernization of Public Administration at the local level.